Random Rants of a Philosophical Mind

The other name i thought was "Random Rants of a Confused Mind".. Random thoughts strike everyone's mind, abstract and even philosophical. In this blog i decide to write about my sudden splurts of thoughts that are sometimes philosophical in nature, facts, etc I believe if one can get into someone else's mind and see what a person is thinking rather than what the person is saying, you have known all that you want to know about the person.

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Love Shrugged

I was reading Atlas Shrugged and these lines made me wait for a few minutes before i read further ......

"To love a woman for her virtues is meaningless, She's earned it, its a payment , not a gift. But to love her for her vices is a real gift, unearned and underserved. To love her for her vices is to defile all virtue for her sake- and that is a real tribute of love, beacause you sacrifice your CONSCIENCE, your REASON, your INTEGRITY and your invaluable SELF ESTEEM"

and in just a few minutes i had a chance to read about what Plato said about love and Marriage

One day, Plato asked his teacher, "What is love? How can I find it?" His teacher answered, "There is a vast wheat field in front. Walk forward without turning back, and pick only one stalk. If you find the most magnificent stalk, then you have found love." Plato walked forward, and before long, he returned with empty hands, having picked nothing. His teacher asked, "Why did you not pick any stalk?" Plato answered, "Because I could only pick once, and yet I could not turn back. I did find the most magnificent stalk, but did not know if there were any better ones ahead, so I did not pick it. As I walked further, the stalks that I saw were not as good as the earlier one, so I did not pick any in the end. His teacher then said, "And that is love."

On another day, Plato asked his teacher, "What is marriage? How can I Find it?" His teacher answered, "There is a thriving forest in front. Walk forward without turning back, and chop down only one tree. If you find the tallest tree, then you have found marriage". Plato walked forward, and before long, he returned with a tree. The tree was not thriving, and it was not tall either. It was only an ordinary tree. His teacher asked, "Why did you chop down such an ordinary tree?" Plato answered, "Because of my previous experience. I had walked through the field, but returned with empty hands. This time, I saw this tree, and I felt that it was not bad, so I chopped it down and brought it back. I did not want to miss the opportunity." His teacher then said, "And that is marriage. You see son Love is the most beautiful thing to happen to a person, its an opportunity butyou don't realize its worth when you have it but only when its gone like the field of stalks. Marriage is like the tree you chopped, it's a compromise . . .

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful.. awesome.. absolute truth!!

8:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really nice....

2:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ever wondered why some of the most influential people were not well read...like Edison,Einstein,Branson,Jobs et.al?

Because education (a little too much in our country) gives you a mental bias and hence you tend to think/answer questions with a bias (consciously or un-consciously).

The point I am trying to make is try to figure out what love is in your terms.

-

Anonymous

10:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home