Random Rants of a Philosophical Mind

The other name i thought was "Random Rants of a Confused Mind".. Random thoughts strike everyone's mind, abstract and even philosophical. In this blog i decide to write about my sudden splurts of thoughts that are sometimes philosophical in nature, facts, etc I believe if one can get into someone else's mind and see what a person is thinking rather than what the person is saying, you have known all that you want to know about the person.

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Why is Chennai Burning and always has been?

That's a wierd name. Doesn't have any relationship to what i am writing. I remember seeing an old book in my dad's shelf, "Is Paris Burning". I haven't read that book, but i felt i cud give it tat name. The name kinda made an abstract sense for what i intended to write.

Now if someone read this topic and the person happenned to be from Chennai he would boil that very instance and open it with the prejudice that its something wrong about the city the person probably was born in or lived for a long time. But again this is just my interpretation of the place, not a statement.

Scene I, Act I
Work called. I was in Chennai even before i cud say "where do u want me to go?". I landed in Chennai and overslept thinking that i might catch the second bus just like what i would have done in Bangalore. Sloth slows down logic and realised what i had gotten myself into. I had to take a cab to work which was 40 kms away. This cabby drives me half way through, finds another of his fellow cab driver, stops the car and starts chatting with him and in a minute he says in tamil

Super Cabby : "I know this whole ride is a useless pick up, i should never have picked him up"
Super Cabby Friend : "Is the customer inside? you shouldn't be talking like this"
Super Cabby : "ha !!! i don't care"

I was shocked !! I thought this was a guy who had no clue what it means about treating customers. Leave alone below average service !! He was practically offending me. I got out of the cab, paid him and walked away to find me another cab.

Scene II, Act I
Sundays at work !! It sure sucks. We decided to eat some pizza at Dominos.

Me : "Can i have a Garlic Toasty?"
the Dude : "Yeah"
Me Friend : "There is also a Garlic Break here..."
Me : "So whats the Difference?"
the Dude : "6 Rs"Me : "Shocked !!!!"

Isnt it pathetic? Leave alone the cab driver. A trained domino's sales dude says that the difference between two food products is the price, where as he should have told the other has two slices extra. That was the worst answer any sales guy had ever given me.

Scene III, ACT I, Scene IV, ...........

I wonder what's with this place and customer service? Doesn't anyone really care about givin another person an experience? why are people so stuck in the 16th century style of selling things and services. Shop keeper's here send out a signal that they are doing a favour to the customers by letting them buy stuff from their shop. A realization should get into people's heads that it's not any more the age of "goods and services" but the age of the "Customer Experience". To compete they should do much more than just do their jobs. But again i thought, this is probably the way this place has been for quite some time and it really doesn't make a native chennaite feel odd but it sure makes the outsider feel wierd.

I have been to other parts of the state, but this place has an certain amount of rudeness associated with it. The Pro-Linguistic attitude makes it all the worse. You should be thinking, something really happenned to this guy in this city. No !! not at all. This is the way it is.

I heard a couple of my friends say they feel out of place in Chennai, Now i know why.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bro,,, I think its jus Chennai's way of treating people who treat it with prejudice…!! Ask a chennaite n he will tell u that he’s never had such experiences with cabbies….The service u got from the pizza guy is not Chennai’s business rather dominoes,, Bro, WAKE UP and realize that the problem is in ur head n not in the city…

2:11 PM  
Blogger ravigurbaxani said...

I dont completely agree to this post. I cannot say a city is rude if I meet 10 rude people. That will happen in every place on earth. But I think we cannot come to a conclusion....

10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home